How to choose climate controlled storage facility?
Get Your Free Moving Quote
Choosing among the many different types of storage units available might seem overwhelming. Especially if it is your first time. But it’s not as hard as it seems. Here are some tips that can help you choose a climate controlled storage facility.
Decide what you are storing
Storage units can be found in a range of sizes and designs. With so many storage options you can usually find exactly the kind of unit you need. But only if you are clear on what those needs are. So think twice before paying for storage service. Make a list of all the things you plan on storing in your unit. Once you get specific about what you are storing, you will be better able to choose a climate controlled storage facility.
Decide should you choose climate controlled storage facility
Climate controlled units keep the temperature and humidity within a specific range. This can be dependent on the climate in which you’re storing your items. For example, dry climates could cause wood to crack and split. And humid climates can cause mold and mildew. Take the time to research, based on the value of your belongings and the cost of the unit. Climate controlled units can be more expensive, but worth the cost over time. You can check out some affordable NYC self-storage facilities on a budget.
Choose climate controlled storage facility with the right size
Larger storage units naturally cost more per month. This is why it is good to get an idea of how much space you will need. This way you can avoid paying for extra, unused space. However, you may also be planning to store more things over time. In that case, it might be worthwhile to choose a climate controlled storage facility that is larger. Another size factor to consider when you want to choose a climate controlled storage facility is the actual design of the particular unit. Some units are relatively narrow but have a lot of vertical space. Others have lower ceilings but are wider. For some items, it may not matter, but there are definitely situations where you may prefer one layout over another. So, choose the right size of the facility before you hire professional movers, like mastermovingguide.com to relocate your belongings.
Think about location
How many times will you need to visit your storage facility? If you’re going to need regular access, a convenient location is important. However, be aware that a facility located in the heart of the city will be more expensive that one outside of town. If you don’t need quick access to your items, choose climate controlled storage facility farther from the city. That will be less costly. Also, see alternatives for Manhattan storage.
When you store your belongings, you want to choose a climate controlled storage facility you can trust. See what makes a trustworthy storage facility:
- Their reviews – Look online in places like Yelp or Google for ratings and feedback from customers.
- Look for pictures – Do the photos on their website, social media or from customers match what you can see in person?
- Speak to the staff – Whether you talk to them on the phone or in person, pay attention to the way they speak to you. Do they seem sincere and confident?
Check the security
You need a reputable company with good security. Look for video surveillance, perimeter fencing, security locks, and electronic access. You’ll also want a knowledgeable management team that is willing to provide you with answers to your questions and a tour of the property.
Call your homeowner’s insurance provider and check if your things have insurance in a storage facility. If they are not, then it still should be possible to purchase insurance from the storage facility you are renting space from.
Check storage payment policy
Some storage facilities can have unusual payment plans if you do not pay on time. So, it is important to check the storage payment policy.
Benefits of using climate controlled storage facility
- Protects your items from temperature changes – Climate controlled storage facilities maintain a constant temperature throughout the year. This will protect your items from potential damage.
- Protects against weather – In a climate controlled facility, your items are protected from the wrath of Mother Nature. Such as thunderstorms, tornadoes, and floods.
- Protects against pests – Well-sealed and indoors, climate controlled storage facilities keep away any unwanted guests. Like moths, gnats, and mice. Because they can wreak havoc on your possessions, damaging fabric, furniture, and even electronics.
- Provides air circulation – Climate controlled storage units continuously circulate air to keep a consistent temperature. This will keep your items in pristine condition throughout the year.
- Gives you peace of mind – Climate controlled facilities are well worth any additional costs. With the peace of mind that your items are safe and sound, you have one less to worry about. This is particularly important if you are storing valuable items or you are looking for a long-term storage solution. The benefits you receive from climate controlled storage are simply unbeatable. So, you can relax and maybe check out the best sports and outdoor activities in Manhattan.
What items need to be stored in climate controlled units?
High humidity may cause items containing fabric to mold or mildew or wood items to rot. Electronics may be damaged in the heat by moisture that can accumulate internally. Food and wine can spoil when warmed too much or frozen. Metal can rust, and plastics melt in the wrong conditions. So, consider how cold, heat or moisture could affect your items when you choose a storage facility. See the items below that may suffer without a controlled climate:
- Electronics such as computers, televisions, stereos, fax machines, and DVD players
- Software, DVDs, CDs, vinyl records, eight-tracks, and cassette tapes
- Musical instruments