Things to do after moving to Manhattan
You have finally finished all the hard work. Relocation is over. You’re at last sitting in your new home. Well, not quite everything is over. Ok, the harder part is done. The stressful obligations are no longer in front of you. But it is important not to get relaxed just yet. Because there are still things to do. You need to make your new home a comfortable place for life. And having all the boxes around, not knowing your neighbours and having children not signed in a school yet, make you consider a few more things. Therefore, we are here to tell you what things to do after moving to Manhattan. There are easier, and there are a little more demanding things. But all of them have the same characteristic- they all need to be done!
Tips on: Things to do after moving to Manhattan
After you moved, you are about to start a new life. Make things happen by taking initiative. Be ready, it may take a couple of weeks or even months. But after you’re done, you’ll finally have a new home. In every possible meaning of the word. But first things firs, let’s talk about things to do after your relocation to Manhattan:
- Make a plan- Before every job, you need to make a plan. Therefore, plan the activities after the Manhattan move.
- Do the unpacking- Unpacking your stuff should be at the top of the things to do after moving to Manhattan list
- Do all the paperwork- some things to mention are: Sign your child/children to school/kindergarten; Register your new postal address; Register your car;
- Find a suitable healthcare- This is the matter as important as the schooling. So, go around the neighbourhood and find out where you can get a healthcare for you and your children. You never know when you might need it.
- Get to know ‘The City’ and the neighbourhood- Explore everything Manhattan and New York have to offer. And that is so much! Also, get to know your neighbours. You’ll need friends after the relocation to Manhattan
Making a plan what to do after moving to manhattan
Think about the steps you need to take after the Manhattan move, and get to that. This article should be helpful. So, you may have a luxury of sitting down, having a meal, or a drink, and reading it. After that, consider what’s to be done. See what seems the most important to you. Make a list of priorities, and do the job. It is as simple as that. But it is necessary, so you could have in mind what’s left to be done. That way you couldn’t forget anything. And being that you’ll be confused and tired, if you don’t write down things to do after moving to Manhattan, there is a chance to forget something. Let’s just mention you forget to register your new address, and you lose some important mail? Or there’s time for your children to get to school, and you forgot to sign them in. You’d be in such a hurry. And you don’t want to pick a school for your kids in a hurry.
Do the unpacking immediately after you enter your new home in Manhattan
The most important thing about the unpacking is- unlike packing, there is no stress at all. You can take your time. There’s no need to hurry. Find yourself relaxed, and enjoy the process. Play some music, have fun while doing it. After all, you’re just pulling the things out of the boxes, and putting them in suitable places. You get to decide how to organise them, it is supposed to be the most exciting thing when entering a home in Manhattan.
Here we’ll try to help you with what should be the order of unpacking:
- Unpack the essential boxes with the items you need the most
- Next boxes to unpack are those for bedroom and bathroom, being that you’ll use those items the first night after the move.
- Kitchen boxes are next. You need to eat, so this is also important to do among first things.
- Unpack the necessary clothes boxes. Being that you probably packed boxes with necessary wardrobe for the first couple of days.
- After that, you may choose what to unpack next.
Why did we mention the order of unpacking? There’s a big chance you’re not gonna make to unpack everything the first day. Therefore, now you have some sort of idea what is the most important to unpack immediately, and what may wait until tomorrow or the next couple of days.
TAKE CARE OF necessary paperwork right after you migrate to Manhattan
Sign your children to school/kindergarten. The education is the most important thing when you think of your kids. If you didn’t do the research about what are the best schools available in Manhattan, this is the time to do that. Check what’s available, do the research of the quality of education there, and sign in your kids. They need to adjust to the new environment as soon as possible. They need to make new friends, meet the environment, get to know the new educating system etc.
- Change your postal address- You don’t want your mail to keep coming to your previous home. That way, you could lose something important due to negligence. And this is something that may be easily forgotten, in case you don’t write it down as an obligation after Manhattan move!
- Register your car. We mentioned in our previous articles that you don’t need a car in Manhattan. It would be the best that you sell it. But in case you move it in order to drive it here then you need to do the registration.
Healthcare, another important thing to do following your Manhattan move
There are no much things to say on this subject. It is very important to find a good healthcare as soon as you get settled in Manhattan. And it should be one of the priorities when talking about things to do after moving to Manhattan. You moved to a new city, and you never know when you’re gonna need a doctor. So, it is necessary to find a good one, in order to feel safe. Walk around the neighbourhood, ask your neighbours for a recommendation, do the research over the web. You need to find a good healthcare. But you also need to find the affordable one. Being that Manhattan is a very expensive place to live in, that might be a challenge. But it is possible to find!
After you moved, get to know ‘The City’ and the neighbours!
New York offers you so many opportunities. And Manhattan is the centre of the most of New York’s happenings. Among other things to do after moving to Manhattan, discover what you might enjoy in your new home environment. Discover what you might not know, and you might like! And if some city may offer you things that you didn’t even know exist, then it is New York. We won’t talk here about job or education opportunities, being that those are most probably the reasons you moved to this borough of New York. But Manhattan has so many opportunities for enjoying in culture, sports, nightlife and so on.
Also, get out of your house/condo and meet the neighbours. People here are friendly. And you do need friends after moving. First, you’d enjoy in their company. And second, they could help you get around, and meet the city. Besides that, who might know the solution to a possible problem that you might have in Manhattan, then an inhabitant of it?
Here are some of the suggestions what you must visit in New York after you move to Manhattan: